View the original post
Exo is a fitness app with a goal to engage more lads who are working person from morning to evening and barely get time to do some workout due to extensive work pressure and busy with social life. This app will encourage to keep their body fit and lead a healthy life through using it.
My goal for this project:
- Find out Why young people want to do exercise?
- Figure out What concretely happen when they manage to do exercise.
- What concretely happen when they don’t manage to do exercise.
- Offer solution to users that improve their health and life.
- Product timeline, strategy, and learning.
Through Using the Solution and app, i can have young people involve in physical exercise and if they don’t get around it i had to come with solutions to encourage their much involvement. Using the app user can easily do some exercise to keep themself fit on ragular basis and build a habit. Besides, the app will also generate a little amount of profit filling the business objectives.
- user’s self-interest joining in interview.
- Not getting schedule to interview From expected sample or audience.
- Finding out the best solution to make them habituated with fitness work.
- Had to check all the competitors app by meself for competitive analysis.
i worked as an individual player on this case study project so had to take major decisions and performed all activities by myself.
My Approach to Solve this problem
Moved with Design thinking which is a holistic and non-linear approach as we know. It’s a continuous and iterative process by which we can improve each step by finding out needs from users. Design thinking approach helped me to understand users, define the problem, brainstorm the possible idea and later prototype the idea and test it with users to find out their pain points and solve it, launch it in the market & make it more usable to them.
Research & insights
First stage of design thinking i tried to talk to the young lads for what is their thinking, feeling, attitude, needs and wants, tried ti understand their emotion. Hold a interview and survey on them to learn more about them and their behaviour & feeling.
saturate space and group was the best idea to gather all insight in one place, i used them whenever i needed to and take look every time i step on new process to find answers of the problem. probably this is my favorite among all activities & techniques.
- Want to Prevent chronic diseases.
- Improve health condition and immune system.
- Track fitness activities.
- Group exercise.
- Favourite music playlist with activities.
- Set a fixed schedule to do exercise with a limited time.
- Personalised Exercise.
- lack of confidence.
- Imbalance work-life activities and less prioritizing.
- No knowledge of any kind of fitness activities and how to do it properly.
- No Reminder or scheduling.
Adding a Persona to portray a single user who stands for all to understand them better as one instead of using multiple persona.
Problem statement, also know as point of view, by which i came across from the insights from user research, User persona and Empathy mapping. To find out the solution, i had synthesize the data and information i collected to define the statement. For Problem statement i used template like [User] [Need] & [Insights]
My offering solutions
(Design thinking is a non-linear process so it will be continuously developed by experimenting, Researching and iterate each stage to find out the best possible solution)
User will experience the service by using an mobile app. I need to make sure that my designed digital experience is friendly, usable, desirable, creadible, accessible. Few Offering solutions based on user behavior, attitude, life-style, insights from research i’ve offering on this project are:
- Personalization fitness work.
- Track fitness.
- Community for more encouragement.
- Challenges for habituating routine.
- Leader board to compete each other in points.
Let me have you go through the strategic way to solve the problem.
later we jump into the HMW (how might we). plan is to generate as many as question to validate, find out insights. This will be broader in number and idea but have to be in narrow for answers.
Few How Might we question i brainstormed during the process:
1.How might we make them work on regular basis
2.How might we help users schedule for exercise?
3.How might we cooperate them for exercise plan?
4.How might we help them keep tracking fitness and health?
5.How might we help them to create a dietary chart for strength?
6.How might we Connect them with the community?
7.How might we guide them a proper way for fitness and exercise?
8.How might we Make them more cosistent on fitness?
9.How might we Offer them personalised training program?
10.How might we Make it more competitive for users to encourage to do more workout?
This stage gives you freedom to think, talk, discuss anything come across your mind regarding the problem. it’s is said that even a bad idea can lead to the best idea and solution.
In Ideation stage i used to methods to validate and find the answer:
1.Worst possible idea.
I’m the only player for it that’s why i’d chosen worst possible idea. it’s fun generating ideas that going to support a better idea around it. Based on these i’d come up with few worst possible ideas:
- Recommend toughest workout challange.
- Urge them to do workout,fail to do that, they will lose account.
- Make them connected with foodie person who want to leave
junk food and start fitnesss program.
Now it’s time to List the assumptions about the users
Listing assumption is another amazing method to find out answers by brainstroming setting a spefic timeframe like 5–10 minutes. Let’s see some Assumptions:
- They shy enough to tell about early leave for exercise.
- Unable to balance work and life due to multiple scheduled.
- Buy materials for fitness activities.
How about challenging them?
Few of the challenge assumptions are following the assumption list:
- What if They feel confident enough to do ask permission?
- What if they listen music and discuss of various topics during the workout
- What if manage a place to workout with good environment?
After these steps still i found some ideas by challenging the assumptions and turned them into ideas like:
- They will set a fixed schedule to do exercise with a limited time
- Challenge friends to join and beat them.
- Group exercise with leaderboard for competition.
Before jumping into the sketch, i first need to find out the flow and process in which way user will go through and interest, that means creating a roadmap to achieve task successfully.
I gather info’s from research and put together in a paper to make sure it’s going to provide users a necessary content. It’s the most power to generate multiple ideas and solutions with a quick time turnaround. though it’s not final, it’s going to support further for high-fi mockup in later stage.
Lo-fi wireframe to synthesis all the collected data previously and put them together using black and light gray color and text to determine contents for Final product design.
Final Design & Tasks for users to achieve
This is visual design stage with product style guide and design system for end product. By using and gathering all these, i eventually analyze and split task and flows for users to achieve their desired goal. For instance: create a personalized fitness program.
Sneak peak of Style guide and components (partial) i used across the final product(MVP).
For Designing a product, a designer must familiar and master with components and style guide. In market it should be easily recognizable at first glance through it branding and style guide across the product. using Component will save you a lot of time and tons of my if you plan to scale business at large scale in near future.
Onboard for user
In this stage users will choose their intention, provide info about their body measurement and customise the notification how they will be remember to achieve daily goals.
Home, Fitness lesson & Personalization lesson
In home page user can see what’s their reminder for upcoming polling event. later what they want to work out on. A sneak peak of their goals, minute spent and burnt calorie. After that they will see some workout lesson providing by special mentors. User can also able to create personalised workout lesson.
Challenges & Community polling
Gamified this task by providing Daily challenge to meet on daily basis which will allure users and engage to achieve and make on the top-list of leader board. Also a polling system inside the community for group workout.
Leader board and challenge friends
This leader board was designed for gamification. It urge them to be on top by challenge each other and meeting challenges and goals.
User easily access to dashboard and see datas based on weekly, monthly and yearly & Their overall data of progress along with other insights relating to fitness.
Launch MVP as soon as possible!!!
i’ve just made an strategy and timeline to achieve what i’d assumed to reach it and launch MVP in the market. it’s necessary that one should lauch idea in the market as MVP to collect leads and feedbacks and based on that you come up with better version.
A successful prouduct not only user centered but also business centered as well. In market to dominate competitors i had to meet both user as well as business needs and objective. It’s an B2C Category business, it will generally want to earn profit, pitch to investors for further development with new features. Few business objective behind this apps:
- Add payment as low as $1/exercise lesson to earn profit.
- Challenge fnf and encourage them to sign up in the platform.
- More engagement of users by gamification.
- After bootstrapping, it will try to pitch investor for further development of features.
Scope of work
- More usability post-launching test to collect feedback and come up with latest solutions.
- Features like Nutrition, in-home coach, a place to workout.
- Post work-out food
- Rewards for achieving points and redeem the for vegetables and healthy foods and fitness equipments as well.
- Scale the product in neat future at large size in the market.
Reflection and learning
This is an personal project, but i tried to add as much data and insight as possible. again, my goal was to to find out why user want to do workout and what happen when they manage to do workout. I was able to deep dive into the different techniques to find out and provide a solution for both user and busienss. I thoroughly studied, research, interact, direction and body copies all written by me.
Don’t forget to follow me if you like the story.
Exo fitness app | An app UX design Case Study was originally published in Muzli – Design Inspiration on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.